Instructions for replacing the terminal connection and wire on electric dryers made by Whirlpool, Kenmore, Sears, Maytag, and Amana.
Dryer Part: Terminal Connection and Wire
Tools needed: hex socket, flat head screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, wire cutter.
As with any repair, be sure you’ve unplugged the appliance before beginning.
- Your first step is to remove the power cord access panel. Once the panel is off, be sure to note the correct location of all wires before continuing. You may want to draw a chart.
- Next, remove the screws to release the power cord wires.
- If applicable to your model, remove the neutral wire from the grounding screw.
- Then remove the two mounting screws to detach the old terminal block.
- Using a small flat head screwdriver, push down the tab in the back to release each of the three terminal block wires.
- Remove the three terminal nuts.
- Trim back all three wires to remove the damaged section, and strip off a ½” of insulation from each.
- Prepare the new wire ends for installation by removing the pre-cut insulation.
- Match each of the new wire ends to the correct trimmed wire, and use the wire nut to connect them.
- Insert the terminal nuts into the block and reattach each wire in its appropriate slot.
- Secure the block with the mounting screws.
- If applicable, attach the neutral wire to the grounding screw.
- Reinstall the power cord wires.
- Replace the access panel.
- Plug the appliance back in to make sure it’s functioning properly.
Dryer Wire, Receptacle or Wire Connector Parts